Monday, July 6, 2009

Geri told me there would be days like this ...

My friend Geri called me while I was in the hospital to see how I was feeling after surgery. When I told her I was doing great, she reminded me that I'd have good days and I'd have bad days. It was part of the healing process.

She knew this first hand because her husband John had major brain surgery earlier this year. John's doctor had told them the same thing Geri told me.

The past two days reminded me that Geri was right. There would be days like this.

Yesterday I spent the majority of the day on the sofa, including watching the Cubs get drilled 8-2 by the Brewers. As if that wasn't painful enough, I had no energy and strong pain on my right side.

I planned to run errunds with my mom and dad this afternoon -- but after going to Starbucks and the post office, I came home. Allie, our family's 16-year-old dog, and I had a good restful afternoon. The Partridge Family DVD marathon resumed this afternoon.

The right-side pain was even more intense today. And I had no more prescription pain pills. I think it was a message that I needed to slow things down considerably. Healing is taking place on God's time schedule, not mine. It's a lesson I continually have to learn -- as I'm not patient!

While I was resting, my friend (and guest blogger) Karla called to check on me. We had a good talk. She reminded me that my doctor had moved around some organs on my right side while trying to remove the external fibroid. So there's a good reason that I may have more pain on my right side.

And then Geri called while she and John were driving from Sioux City to Harlan. I immediately told her she was right. I would have my good days. And I would have my bad days. And it's all part of the healing process.

No comments:

Post a Comment