Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Shirl and the three dependents

When I was discharged from the hospital, Dr. Bedia told me, "No driving for two weeks." Monday, July 13 was my two-week anniversary from leaving Iowa Methodist after my surgery. But entering week 3 of recovery, I'm still content being one of Shirl's three dependents for a little longer.

The three dependents (my dad, myself and the dog) all rely upon my mom (aka Shirl) to take us places right now. She's been a saint through it all! Taking care of all three of us while trying to get things moved from the old house. And get things organized in the new townhome.

Why am I content being a dependent for a little longer? I think my reaction time is way too slow for me to be behind the wheel of a car.

I still feel the world is going at 100 mph, and I'm still functioning at 50 mph -- both mentally, physically and emotionally.

So no driving for me yet. Which also means I'm still staying at my parents' home for another week, at least.

HysterSisters says, "If you are in week 3 or 4, you may find that one day you feel great with a lot of energy, and the next day your feel lousy and want to stay in bed ... During weeks 3-4, it may seem like you're taking two steps forward and one step back, but this is still progress!"

This is exactly where I'm at. Saturday I felt great. Sunday I felt bad during church and had to leave early. I was back in bed most of the day and missed going to "Six-on-Six: The Musical," which was a total bummer!

Monday I rested most of the day so I could go watch a friend's softball game that night. Tuesday I celebrated my birthday with friends and family and did great.

Today I was so tired. I woke up feeling as if I got hit by a Mack truck. I spent most of the day in my room with the Partridges, which explains why I've now watched all 49 episodes of seasons 1 and 2.

The incision pain is manageable -- and bending over is getting much better. Thanks to the "football-shaped pills" even pooping is better. But the energy level just isn't there on a regular basis.

It's hard because my sister and her three kids are here this week. I want to do things with them. But I don't have the energy to do the things I normally do. And it's hard for me to plan ahead because I don't know if it'll be a good or bad day.

So for now, I'm content being one of Shirl's three dependents. And knowing that according to HysterSisters, it's OK that I feel as if I'm taking two steps forward and one step back.

Almost sounds as if it could be a Partridge Family song.

No comments:

Post a Comment