Thursday, July 9, 2009

Pooping is painful!

Disclaimer: This blog entry will often contain references to passing gas and pooping (aka. No. 2, a bowel movement, BM.)

When I read my first couple of blog entries to my dad, he said he was appalled that I would write about such things where "the whole world could read about them."

While I appreciate the fact that my dad thinks the whole world would even want to read my blog, I can't help but write about these facts of life.

When people told me about the after-effects of an abdominal hysterectomy, no one mentioned that these things would have a major role in how I feel each day.

If these things offend you like they offend my dad, stop reading here ... for this is the major thing I'm dealing with.

The big lesson I learned during week two is pooping is painful.

My prescription pain meds cause constipation. And constipation is the biggest cause of my pain right now.

Monday afternoon I called my doctor's office about my side pain that was quite wicked. The nurse called back and said she'd call in a new pain prescription for me.

I also read on HysterSisters.com that I needed to keep taking stool softeners throughout my recovery. When I bought a bottle of 100 pills, I thought that was way too many. But at three a day (max dosage), I may run out.

Not to mention I started sharing three of the "football-shaped pills" with my dad each night. Yes, he has the same problem for a totally different reason -- but no, he won't talk about it. He will only refer to the stool softeners as the "football-shaped pills."

I felt great Tuesday! My friend Karla and I went to lunch at Jason's Deli and then walked around both levels of Valley West Mall. We called it my training for the 2011 Des Moines Marathon. I've taken myself out of this year's event, but the thought of walking 26.2 miles without constant pain in my right leg really sounds good to me.

After Karla and I finished our post-walk beverages at Starbucks, I came home and rested until my friends Pam and Pam from the Y visited me. It was great to get caught up with them, as I hadn't seen them since before my car accident in May.

I spent Wednesday morning/afternoon hanging out at home with Shirley, Keith, Laurie, Danny, Chris, Tracey and Reuben. The Partridge Family. I finished watching season 1, which is 22 episodes of a 20-minute show.

I didn't feel as bad as Monday, but didn't feel as good as Tuesday either because I felt I needed to ... you know ... poop. So I had some pain.

My friend Karen picked me up Wednesday night and we met our friend Marie for dinner at Panera Bread. Afterwards we walked around both levels of Jordan Creek Town Center and finished up with ice cream at Cold Stone. The oatmeal cookie batter ice cream with chocolate chips and pecans is wonderful!

After I got home, I spent some time in the bathroom ... doing you know what ... and felt so much better. So much so that I slept until 11 a.m. this morning.

So while pooping is painful, walking and three stool softeners per day seem to be the key to making things a little more manageable right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment